We all know that driving can be stressful, especially when you have someone in the backseat who just won’t stop ‘helping’ you drive! Yep, you guessed it, we’re talking about the dreaded back-seat driver at IT Garage Services.
According to a recent study of 2,000 motorists, seven in 10 of us find it incredibly annoying when a passenger gasps loudly, criticises our driving decisions, or offers unwanted advice when we’re trying to concentrate on the road in front of us.
The study found that the top 20 list of back-seat driver annoyances include everything from being involved in road rage, holding their face in fear, and even insisting on giving directions when they’re not needed. And let’s not forget the classic move of pointing out the correct turn-off or junction.
The study also found that only 21% of motorists admit to being a back-seat driver themselves when travelling in someone else’s car. Is that wishful thinking, or are the back-seat drivers really in the minority?
Don’t think you’re a back-seat driver? Check out the Top 20 signs of being a back-seat driver and see how many things you’re guilty of.
20 Signs That You’re A Back-Seat Driver
1. Criticising the driver’s decisions behind the wheel
2. Complaining about the speed the driver is going
3. Gasping loudly at any slight braking movement
4. Flinching when they feel the driver is too close to another vehicle/obstacle/wall etc
5. Complaining about the driver going too slowly
6. Pointing out when to turn off or onto a road at a junction
7. Pressing an imaginary brake pedal
8. Advising on which lane the driver should be in
9. Telling the driver when the traffic lights have changed to green
10. Insisting on giving directions
11. Interfering with the music
12. Swearing at other cars’ drivers
13. Gesticulating at other road users
14. Getting road rage on the driver’s behalf
15. Waving ‘thanks’ at other drivers for letting you out
16. Reading out the road signs as they pass
17. Changing the in-car temperature
18. Holding your hands over your face
19. Closing your eyes frequently when someone else is driving
20. Disagreeing with satnav
At IT Garage Services in Inverness, we know how important it is to stay focused on the road. That’s why we encourage all passengers to think twice before becoming back-seat drivers. We understand that it can be tempting to offer a wee bit of advice, but remember, it’s the driver’s responsibility to get everyone to their destination safely.
And if you do find yourself in an accident caused by a distracting passenger, don’t hesitate to get in touch with your local Inverness garage – IT Garage Services. We’re always there to help when your vehicle has been damaged and get you back on the road in no time at all!
So let’s all do our part to keep the roads safe and enjoyable for everyone, and leave the back-seat driving to the back seat.
Where to find the best garage near me?
Contact us now to book an appointment or for any enquiries:
Monday -Friday: 8 am to 6 pm
Saturday: 8 am to 1 pm